Sunday, January 18, 2015

Changes

I told myself that several things would not change when Alessandra arrived.  I wouldn't be one of those moms that didn't work out, that didn't cook meals, that didn't make time for her marriage, that lost touch with pre-baby friends, that lost interest in prior hobbies/interests, etc....but those things have really crept up on me over the last 5 months.  The really crazy thing - its NOT because of Alessandra.

My job demands have increased significantly for various reasons including the departure of the firm's most tenured attorney. I've slowly let things slip and I've just started the process of taking back all of those important pieces of my life.  I've made it a priority each day to set aside as much time as possible for Alessandra and, frankly, her demands don't allow me to lose sight or her importance in my life.  The other things in life are so much more voluntary and optional - they don't cry if I don't tend to them - so, if these things are really important to me, it's up to me to make sure that they continue to have a place in my life.

For now, here's the positive things that have been going on with Alessandra.  By next post, I hope to be reporting on all the other positive things going on in life!

Playing with her giraffe:



Alessandra sleeps through the night.  This is a big one! Most nights she sleeps from sometime before 9pm (8:30ish) until 7:30am.  This is PERFECT - it allows me to feed her, spend a little time with her in the evenings working on sills, and bathe her (on bath days) without having to keep her up.  She falls asleep late enough that I've enjoyed time with her, but early enough that I can at least rest or (more likely) take on other tasks for an hour or two before bed.  Once Alessandra wakes up I'm typically fully ready for work (showered, breakfast eaten, packed up) and I can give her my undivided attention until she is dropped off at Grandma's house.  I love mornings with her.  She is usually so cheerful and sweet in the morning.  Every now and then she wakes in the night but handling one or two days per week of interrupted sleep is much easier than regularly trying to function on interrupted sleep.  If she wakes a little early, Ryan steps in and watches her so I can finish getting ready for the day.

Alessandra has the smiliest little face.  Obviously Alessandra can't talk so it really helps me feel like she is doing well and enjoying her life when I so frequently see a big smile on that precious little face.  She always greets Daddy with a big squinty-eyed smile and she usually smiles when spoken to.  The smiles are big and they come easy.  I love it.

Laughter!  Alessandra finally laughs!  At first it was a very short chuckle but now we're getting longer giggles. She seems a little ticklish and cracks up at silly sounds and faces.  Sometimes the things she laughs about make sense and sometimes I wonder what in the world she found so funny.  No matter what, I love hearing her laughter.

Cruising.  Every time Alessandra's feet touch the ground, she immediately tries to walk.  We will guide her in different directions and she even takes sideways and backwards steps.  She is the cutest little moon-walker! Sometimes Ryan will lay down and stand her up on his tummy and she immediately starts trying to walk up his torso towards his head.  It's amazing how automatic that instinct is.  So far the closest she has been to walking is taking little steps while holding onto the side of her crib and holding on to the side of a bed.  I'm too afraid to just let go and see what happens but she mostly holds herself up with her own strength.  I'm going to be chasing her around the house in no time.

Rolling.  Alessandra has been rolling from front to back since she was a tiny baby but she just recently started rolling from back to front.  She did it once, seemingly on accident while trying to escape mommy's grasp, and has since delighted in rolling over repeatedly.  Grandma worked with Alessandra on rolling for some time and all that practice has finally paid off.  The first few times Alessandra rolled back to front, she was reaching for a toy or trying to see something over her head but now she rolls repeatedly and for no apparent reason. I think she is just enjoying the new mobility.

Alessandra rolling around:



Out for a walk on a cold day (low 50s) and out for a walk on a warm sunny day (upper 60s):




My Baby Bear is such a joy right now.  Other demands are keeping me pretty exhausted and stressed but my little lady has really adapted to a routine and has become so much easier to take care of.  I look forward to time with her.  I need to get a little more control over the other things at life but its tough with so much on my plate right now.  I'm taking steps in the right direction so hopefully things will improve soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment