Tuesday, September 11, 2018

American Dream


For many people reading this, being American is a birthright. For me, not so much.

I'm extremely fortunate to have been born to hard-working, honest, intelligent people of great integrity - but my parents were not born on American soil.
I've told the story many times so I'll stick to the basics.  Due to his amazing amazing mind & tireless work ethic, along with the good fortune that so often drips down from Above, my Dad was transplanted to the United States by an American company in 1986. He came over with his young wife and three small children who knew neither the culture nor the language in a strange new land.

Fast forward a few decades and those small children all have college educations, a juris doctorate, and a few masters degrees between them.  Fast forward a few decades and each of those small children have an ever-broadening sphere of influence and pour energy tirelessly into parent/teacher organizations, at-risk youth, and organizations that empower mothers.  Fast forward a few decades and each of those three young ladies have been on the government payroll, selected for their educations, their enthusiasm, and the heart that they put in to all that they do.  Fast forward a few decades and you'll find three stable homes with happy marriages and healthy children.

In short, these three little Spanish speaking Salvadoran girls that my young parents crossed the border with all live the American Dream.

It was Outsiders that taught us what this Country stood for.  It was Non-Americans who helped us build the Dream every step of the way.  It was people who did not have this opportunity as a Birthright who cherished it, believed in it, and helped us to excel in it.  My parents left life as they knew it to start over in the United States. I am what they have to show for it.

I never thought twice about becoming an American.
I was in such a hurry to become an American citizen that, despite being the youngest, I was naturalized before everyone else in my family. I needed to be able to do all the things that come with citizenship. I needed to shuffle off some of the limitations that accompany LPR status.
I needed to be able to vote. 

I never thought twice about becoming an American.
I didn't have to. 
I became an American as soon as I understood what it meant, what it could mean, and how I could contribute to its potential.

I aspire to pass on what my parents instilled in me.  I strive to pass on the tradition of believing in ideals, in loving what something stands for, and of seeking to effectuate an opportunity's full potential. I hope to pass on the belief that an open mind, a big heart, and the satisfaction of doing good for others are what create a meaningful life.  I hope to pass on to my children, and those in my sphere of influence, this great belief in the American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment