Sunday, November 5, 2017

Que te Cuide Diosito

Alessandra is my little robot child.  We programmed her early on and now, if we just stick to the routine, she falls in line perfectly.  She slept through the night when she was a tiny baby.  She's always operated on a predictable schedule in a predictable routine.  To this day, she eats and sleeps on a very predictable schedule.

Her nightly routine is accomplished through a joint effort by Mama and Daddy (when I'm not out at work or attorney events...but that's for another post). Daddy gives her milk, brushes her teeth, changes her clothes, and reads her a book.  Once his portion of the routine is complete, I take over with a book or two, some songs, many many kisses, and blessings.

Each night, the last thing I say to her as I leave her room is "que to cuide Diosito".  For years she has accepted is a part of the routine and has never asked for an explanation.  Tonight, she finally asked me - "mama, what is that? what are you saying?"

How do you explain to your three year old that these four words are a simple and concise expression of my soul's cry that all be well with her for all time and in all ways.

-I'm asking God to watch over you.
-I won't always be there and I can't always see everything that you do, where you go, or what happens to you, but God can.
-I hope for your safety.
-I hope for your peace.
-I hope for your health.
-I hope that you flourish.
-I'm asking God for His help.

I prayed less before I had children.  But even now that I do have children, I realize there is something missing from my prayers.  There is something missing from my parenting altogether.  God hasn't given me charge over mere flesh and blood.  He has allowed me to participate in the growth, the flourishing, the teaching - the lives - of endless spiritual beings that He created with Intent and Purpose.

Recent events have brought to my attention just how much I try to take on the task of being a good parent in isolation.  Yes, I ask God for my children's health.  Yes, I ask God to help me be a good mother.
But how often do I pray for my children as spiritual beings?  How often do I ask God to be accessible to them?  How often do I pray that they experience the joy of a relationship with their Creator?

I send Alessandra to a Christian school each day, but do I receive her into a Christian home each evening?  She knows about spiritual matters, but how much is she hearing about spiritual matters from me?  Many people have interceded for her in prayer, but how often have I taken on the task?

I've taken it for granted that all is right with my child's Spirit.  The last 10 days or so have been a wake-up call for me to bring my children's most important well-being into focus and to address it purposefully.

I will continue to ask God to help me be a good mother.  I will begin more actively interceding for my children's Spirits. I am grateful that He has shown me one more way that I can do more for my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment